All Session 1 and 2 Code Workshops have been completed. Special thanks to Aspirus Hospital Wausau, Aspirus Riverview Hospital and Clinic, Grace Lutheran, UW Health, WI Veterans Home King, Luther Manor, and JP Cullen Milwaukee for hosting the events. If you missed these sessions, we will be presenting them again in May/June 2020.
LLSC also presented at the WHEA Advanced HCC conference on November 6th. The presentation was called " You Are The Inspector" and it taught the audience about what surveyors look for during an inspection. It also challenged them to spot the deficiencies in a series of real-world photos collected during surveys.
New This Month
Welcome to the new Lauzon Life Safety Consulting website. We are thankful for Paige and her team at Image Management for helping us make this new website a reality. There will be new features with this website such as tutorial videos, updated documentation, and much more. Please check it out and tell us what you think.
- Code Central Members, we have changed the security sensors on the website so now each facility or member will have their own username and password. THE OLD PASSWORD WILL NOT WORK. If you are having any difficulties signing in, please let someone from Lauzon Life Safety Consulting know.
We will be continuing with the Session 3 Code Workshops in December. Make sure to sign up through Ticket Tailor or by emailing Alex at firstname.lastname@example.org We are excited to have you join us. Session 3 will be about Non-Rated Enclosures such as suites and corridors.
- Provide another series of Workshop Training Sessions beginning in late spring/early summer of 2020.
- Update training videos to the 2012 Life Safety Code.
- Improve delivery methods for training videos.
Code of the Month
Decoration Materials (NFPA 101-2012, 18/18.104.22.168)
Combustible decorations are prohibited unless they:
a. Are treated with a flame-retardant with a listed coating that is applied per its instructions
b. Are loose hanging fabrics that are labeled to satisfy NFPA 701
c. Are bulletin boards, posters, and paper attached directly to the wall and are a maximum of 20% of the aggregate wall surface they are applied (NFPA 101-2012, 10.2.5.3.1)
d. Are art decorations, such as photographs and paintings that are
a. directly attached to walls, ceilings, or non-rated doors
b. don't interfere with door operations and
c. are below these area limits:
- Maximum of 20% of the wall/ceiling/door surface area in any space in a non-fully sprinkled smoke compartment,
- Maximum of 30% of the wall/ceiling/door surface area in any space in a fully sprinkled smoke compartment,
- Maximum of 50% of the wall/ceiling/door surface area in a patient sleeping room in a fully sprinkled smoke compartment (no more than 4 persons).
e. Artificial Christmas trees shall not be used unless flame-retardant (keep documentation).